Posted on March 28, 2019
GSS will hire its first full-time Head of School to lead the day-to-day operations of the school, (particularly focused on the interpersonal aspects of school culture and student life), to expand enrollment, to open a fully functioning high school, and to fundraise for the continued growth and expansion of the school community.
The Head of School will report directly to the Board of Directors and work together with the school President and Executive Director to lead the day-to-day operations and strategic growth of the school. The Head of School will be the chief executive in charge of:
- Implementing the school’s vision on a day-to-day basis, enriching school culture and student life, within the school community
- Opening new grades as the school continues to grow and expand
- Directing, managing, deepening, and unifying the faculty in their execution of the school’s curriculum
- Communicating with current and prospective parents the vision for the school
- Handling parent-student issues that arise in the normal rhythm of school life
- Managing the day-to-day operational issues with the school
- Leading the school’s fundraising efforts, both in annual appeals and meeting with high-dollar donors and benefactors
- Working with the Executive Director and other business staff to ensure budgetary targets are met
- Representing the school in the local community, building ties with the Catholic communities and business representatives to raise the school’s profile
- Reporting on the school to the Board of Directors through its President
- Leading long-term growth projects for the school, including seeking accreditation and a permanent campus for GSS
- Selecting, inducting, supporting, evaluating, and retaining school personnel
- Providing formation to school personnel and parents
- Modeling professional, moral, and ethical standards as well as personal integrity in all interactions
About Good Shepherd School
Good Shepherd School is located in Purcellville, Virginia and serves the communities of western Loudoun County and points west. Our mission statement: “Rooted in the person of Jesus Christ, Good Shepherd School is a nurturing, academic environment designed for each child to grow in independence and virtue.”
Beginning with just 10 students ages 3-5 in 2016, GSS now currently enrolls 70 students from ages 3 through eighth grade. The Pre-K and Kindergarten program is a Montessori environment, while Grades 1-8 are a classical curriculum. As GSS grows, it envisions adding students at all grade levels, while forming a classical-based high school program, all of which focused on the inculcation of of faith, wisdom, and joy in young men and women in order to embrace their vocations as adults upon graduation. At steady-state, we envision total enrollment settling in at approximately 250 students for all grades combined, pre-K through 12th grade.
GSS is at a critical phase in its growth, looking for a motivated leader with an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong track record of forming successful relationships to join an excellent staff in place to help the school mature as a long-term, sustainable community, serving the Catholic population of western Loudoun and surrounding areas.
While the preferred candidate would likely have significant teaching and leadership experience in a school environment, it is a preference, not an essential requirement. Below are the skills/traits that we value in applicants for the position:
- Practicing Catholic whose faith and prayer life animate their entire life
- Proven ability to teach, lead teams and develop individuals
- Excellent communication skills, both writing and speaking
- Solid track record of fiscal responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Understanding and appreciation of Montessori and Classical approaches to education
Candidates should submit a cover letter, which states the candidate’s vision for educational leadership, a complete curriculum vitae, the names, phone number, and email address of three professional references and one pastoral reference to the school administrator, Theresa Schlenz (email@example.com). All questions should be directed to Mrs.Schlenz as well.