Students at Good Shepherd School follow a dress code. Since we do not use our logo on items, you may purchase clothing at the store of your choosing.
School-Wide Dress Code:
- Shirts: solid navy, hunter green, or light gray polo/collared shirt
- Sweaters: solid navy or light gray, waist or hip length (button down cardigan, zip up, or pull-over)
- Pants/shorts: solid navy or khaki (slacks, not cargo pants; no jean material)
- Jumpers/skirts: solid navy, khaki, or GSS-specific plaid
- Leggings/bike shorts (for under skirts): solid navy or light gray
- Socks/tights: solid navy or light gray (Note: Primary students may wear any color)
Classroom shoes: solid black, brown, or navy leather (or leather-look) school shoes with closed toe/heel. No heels permitted. Preferred styles: Mary Janes, Oxfords, Loafers. (Note: child should be able to put on/remove on his own shoes)
Outdoor shoes: weather-appropriate athletic shoes with closed toe/heel (Note: child should be able to put on/remove on his own shoes)
Outerwear: Students are expected to wear weather-appropriate outerwear. There are no color or style restrictions for outerwear, provided the items are sufficient for the current conditions. Items may include raincoats, hats, gloves, scarves, insulated winter coats, snow boots, or whatever else might be required to protect health and safety. Please ensure that each item of clothing is marked with the child’s name. NOTE: students will NOT be permitted to wear coats, hats, or other outerwear items in the classroom at any time. Please ensure that your child is equipped with sufficiently warm dress-code approved sweaters for classroom use during the cold months.
Elementary Only: muck boots should be worn on Atrium days in Sept.-Nov. and Mar.-May. Please also bring a separate pair of athletic shoes appropriate for hiking. Socks will be worn indoors.
Primary Only: change of clothes: complete outfit to be kept at school in ziplock bag labelled with child’s name.
- No inscriptions or logos permitted.
- All skirts and shorts should be no more than 2 inches above the top of the knee, unless worn with opaque tights or leggings. Skirts may not be rolled to make them shorter.
- All items should be solid colored and free of any embellishment, such as embroidery, sequins, or decorative buttons.
- All sweaters, footwear, outerwear, and other removable items should be labelled with the child’s name.
- GSS-specific plaid option: we have a selection of donated elementary and middle school-sized plaid skirts available through the school uniform closet.
- Shoes should have no more than a 1 inch heel.
- Hair must be kept in natural colors.
- Jewelry is permitted if simple and minimal. Stud earrings and saint medals are allowed.
- Makeup is discouraged and should look natural if worn.
- Primary: purchase pieces that enable your child to dress himself. Land’s End has a line of adaptive clothing with magnetic and Velcro closures.
- All dress code items are expected to be in good repair. Stained, faded, or torn clothing may not be worn to school. No patches or other visible repairs are permitted.
- Dress code infractions will be kept on file and sent home to parents for signatures.
General Appearance: A neat and clean appearance is an essential aspect of the Good Shepherd School dress code. At GSS, we emphasize the importance of neatness and cleanliness as important aspects of personal character development and respect for others. Students are expected to arrive at school properly bathed and groomed, with teeth brushed and hair arranged neatly, wearing clean dress-code approved clothing in good repair.
Dress Code Resources (suggestions only):